People are generally of the opinion that it is only the main body of the project that holds utmost importance. However, this isn’t true. Though conclusion paragraphs come at the end of the project, they still hold a lot of importance when it comes to wrapping up the entire content and leaving an impact on the minds of the readers. This article would not only tell you what one should write in a conclusion, but would also provides you tips and tricks to make your conclusion in a project more impactful.
What is Conclusion in an Essay?
Conclusion essentially refers to a piece at the end of the paragraph, essay or paper that summarizes the entire content that has been jotted down. It mainly includes all the key elements of the main body and may also include your own opinion about that particular topic. Since conclusion is written in the end, it catches a lot of attention and hence there a lot of things to be kept in mind while writing a conclusion.
Why Should Every Writing Have a Conclusion?
A conclusion acts like a link between the introduction, the main points presented in the essay and the supporting ideas as well. A well written conclusion may change the entire perspective of the reader. Hence, a good conclusion can fetch you a lot of brownie points even if the reader isn’t able to relate much to your article.
Key Elements to be Kept in Mind While Writing a Conclusion:
- Start with an introductory remark: Highlighting something important from your introduction section is an effective way of starting your conclusion paragraph. It might sound very basic, but it gives a very logical start to the conclusion. This introductory line acts as the base of your conclusion paragraph.
- Refer to your introduction to create a link: Just like conclusion paragraphs, introduction also plays a very important role in every essay. Thus, it is very crucial to reinstate points from your introduction into your conclusion paragraphs. However, they shouldn’t sound repetitive to the audience.
- Summarize all other relevant points: The entire essence of a conclusion is to give a summary to everything relevant that has been covered in the essay. This is done to ensure that the article creates a mindful impact on reader’s mind. However, it is important to note that summarizing is way different from reiterating the same points again and again. Reiterating the same points in the conclusion paragraph is not at all a good idea.
- Catch the reader’s attention: Adding an emotional connect towards the end of the essay really helps the reader to stay connected. Apart from that, one can also point towards the future so that the reader might come back to your blog or website to read over on the same topic.
- End with a closing line: The closing point of the conclusion for a project should be very clear and precise so that puts a crystal-clear end to the entire content, thereby leaving the reader with a deep thought. Any ambiguous thought might put a bad impression on the reader.
- Keep it short: As the reader approaches the end of the article, he looks forward to a precise end. Thus, the conclusion should always be kept short and to the point so that the reader feels that everything important has been covered up and summarized. Lengthy conclusions might not keep the reader hooked up to your project or essay.
- Make a connect: Conclusion paragraph in an English project is one of the most effective ways to create a connect with the audience. Perhaps, it is the only medium via which you can switch to an interactive mode. Making a connect also helps them feel relieved.
- Provide them with next steps: The audience should feel that the information that they have gained via the article can help them further. Thus, some direction from your end can really give them the courage that they might need to research more on that topic.
When Should A Conclusion Be Added?
Whether it is an article, essay or a report, adding a conclusion brings in a proper structure to the entire piece of writing. Apart from that, a good conclusion, addresses all the ‘what’ and ‘why’, thereby ensuring that the piece of writing leaves a mark on the reader’s mind. Thus, every writer should make sure to add a conclusion paragraph towards the end of their writing.
Things to Avoid While Writing a Conclusion
- One must be mindful of the fact that no new theme, idea or thought should be introduced in the conclusion paragraphs. If you feel like that you have missed out on some relevant information, place it into your main body of content.
- The tone that is used in the conclusion should be in consonance with the rest of the content written in the essay. This is very important else the conclusion would not look like a part of the writing.
- Usage of phrases like, ‘in the end’, ‘in conclusion’ and ‘in nutshell’ should be avoided since they might seem redundant. One should directly switch to the point.
- Bringing up the minor points or minute details is not advisable since conclusion is to be kept short.
- Don’t add any statement that makes your point weak or adds any conflict of thought in the mind of the readers. You should be crystal clear with the thought that you put forth.
Read more: What Is Creative Writing and Its Types?
All these points prove that conclusion is one of the most powerful additions to any essay and hence, should be written effectively. Thus, next time when you write an article or an essay, don’t get tempted to write the conclusion in a hurry. Though, writing a conclusion might be hard, but one must try his level best to write an impactful one. So, next time whenever you are working on any essay or project, don’t forget to give ample time for writing the conclusion.